Something Slim – A Novella Competition
for Poetic Prose or Prose Poetry
As a reader and now as a teeny weeny publisher of pretty books, I have always been in love with literary fiction and novellas in particular and so I am extremely happy to be able to launch our very first competition aimed at prose.
For me, poetic prose and prose poetry are close kin and with ‘Something Slim’ I want to give poets and prose writers both an opportunity to find a home for their work.
I have no preconceptions about genre or subject matter – it is all about the writing. To me, novellas should have one strong central idea and so that is something I shall be looking for when I come to judge the competition.
A novella I see as being between 10 and 40,000 words.
The winning novella will be beautifully published in 2020 by the Hedgehog Press with the winner receiving 100 copies of their book.
This is an open competition and we are actively encouraging all writers to take part, whatever their age or experience.
Judged by Mark Davidson, Editor The Hedgehog Press
- Authors should enter the competition via the Hedgehog Poetry Press web site
- Submit the FULL Text of the Novella, along with a brief synopsis (no more than a single page of A4)
- The full novella should be between 10 and 40,000 words in length.
- All entries must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single file in PDF, Word, TXT or RTF format, after payment has been made via this web site
- Cult members need only email their entry
- All work must be your own and must not have been previously published. Previously Self published work is acceptable.
- Judges decision is final
- Deadline for entries is 31st December 2019 at 11.59pm
- Competition results will be published on the Hedgehog Press web site and via our Email Newsletter on or prior to the 29th February 2020