Do you remember closing your eyes to go to sleep only for your overactive imagination to take over and turn every shadow into a monster, ever squeak of a floorboard into the footsteps of some strange and scary animal, every breath tasting of magic and mystery and no matter how tightly you squeezed your eyes shut, you knew not to open them. Something was watching you.
We want you to remember that feeling and write us a poem that describes the monster that kept you hidden beneath the bedclothes with the best of the entries to be published in our own supernatural Bestiary of the Night.
All poems must be received by 11.59pm on the 30th of September 2019, with a single winner:
- Receiving £100 in Prize Money
- Receiving 250 copies of their poem beautifully printed in Artcard form, and
- Seeing their poem beautifully reproduced in a great new Anthology, to be published by the Hedgehog Poetry Press.
We will also be inviting all of the shortlisted poets to have their poem included in the anthology too and of course everybody who has their work featured will receive copies of the finished work.
The competition will be judged by Mark Davidson, Editor of The Hedgehog Poetry Press.
- Poets should enter the competition by paying the entry fee on the Hedgehog Poetry Press web site
- Once you have paid your entry, either email a copy of your poem to email@example.com as a Word, TXT or RTF file.
- Poems should be up to a maximum of 40 lines each
- Cult members need only email their entry, no payment required
- All work must be your own and must not have been previously published in a book or collection by a traditional publisher. Magazine published poems are acceptable as are previously self-published collections.
- Judges decision is final
- Deadline for entries is 30th September 2019 at 11.59pm
- Competition results will be published on the Hedgehog Press web site and via our Email Newsletter on or prior to the 1st December2019