You only need to open one of the ‘Best Poets of the – choose your favourite – Century’ books to realise that women poets have never received their share of recognition and so we are aiming to put that right with an anthology of poetry inspired by the often disregarded greats.
So whether it is the work of Plath or Dickinson that inspires you, or if you have read wider and love Judith Sargent Murray, Wislawa Szymborska or Pauli Murray and it is they that put fire into your soul, this is your opportunity to pay tribute to them.
What we are asking is that you write and dedicate a poem to a female writer who you feel should be better respected. This can be written ‘in the style of’ or just draw influence from a favourite poem of theirs – you could even choose to see today’s world through your Heroine’s Eyes, as it were – it is entirely up to you to decide.
Include the poet’s name as either the poem title or a dedication.
All poems must be received by 11.59pm on the 30th of November 2019, with a single winner:
- Receiving £100 in Prize Money
- Receiving 250 copies of their poem beautifully printed in Artcard form, and
- Seeing their poem beautifully reproduced in a great new Anthology, to be published by the Hedgehog Poetry Press.
We will also be inviting all of the shortlisted poets to have their poem included in the anthology too and of course everybody who has their work featured will receive copies of the finished work.
The competition will be judged by Mark Davidson, Editor of The Hedgehog Poetry Press.
- Poets should enter the competition by paying the entry fee on the Hedgehog Poetry Press web site
- Once you have paid your entry, either email a copy of your poem to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Poems should be up to a maximum of 40 lines each
- Cult members need only email their entry, no payment required
- All work must be your own and must not have been previously published in a book or collection by a traditional publisher. Magazine published poems are acceptable as are previously self-published collections.
- Judges decision is final
- Deadline for entries is 30th November 2019 at 11.59pm
- Competition results will be published on the Hedgehog Press web site and via our Email Newsletter on or prior to the 1st February 2020