Seeking a modern classical composer for a collaboration

Home Forums Cult Talk Seeking a modern classical composer for a collaboration

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    phil.e.vernon
    Participant

I’ve written a new version/translation of the mediaeval hymn Stabat Mater. This happened unexpectedly as I was listening to Pergolesi’s version of it so much, I sought out English translations and found them all inadequate to its passion and sorrow.

However, it doesn’t quite work as a stand-alone poem and I’m now looking for a composer who might consider collaborating with me to set it to music – and I’d of course be willing to adapt the words as part of that. So if anyone knows someone who might be interested to discuss this, I’d be very grateful if you could out me in touch.

Thanks! Phil

gaynor.kane
    Participant

Hi Phil,
    There is a young composer, Frasier Hickland, from Northern Ireland (now based in Dublin) making waves in the classical music scene here. He has a website and Facebook page and might be worth contacting. I know his father, Terry, a novelist.

Wishing you every success with what sounds like z very exciting project!

G 😀

phil.e.vernon
    Participant

Thanks Gaynor – much appreciated. Since posting this, I was put in touch with a musician in London who is considering whether she can give it try. But if she decides not to, I’ll consider contacting Frasier via his website. I hope you’re doing well.
    Phil

phil.e.vernon
    Participant

Incidentally, Gaynor, were you able to read the body of my initial post? – I can’t actually see the text of it when I click on the link.

gaynor.kane
    Participant

I’m glad you’re in touch with someone, Phil. It will be great to collaborate. It’s wonderful to have new possibilities. At a writing retreat recently, I read a poem in the company of singer/songwriters and they both said they could hear music when I read. I’d love see where that could go!

No, I wasn’t able to see the original post here but I did see it in the ‘activity’ section. I think when you create a new topic it doesn’t post the body of the topic, if you know what I mean.

The last time I created a new topic I put the body in as the first comment as there seems to be a bit of a glitch.

All the best 🎼🎵🎶

phil.e.vernon
    Participant

Ah! that’s good advice, thanks

MyDystopiA
    Keymaster

Hi,

I was wondering if you found the collaboration you were seeking…if not get in touch. I would be happy to help.

phil.e.vernon
    Participant

Hi, thanks for getting in touch, in fact I did find someone and she wrote a great piece of music for it. It was performed at St. Paul’s in Covent Garden a couple of weeks back. In case of interest there’s a short video of it on my website at https://philvernon.net/2019/04/15/stabat-mater/- you have to scroll down to the link by the picture of Mary.
    All the best,
    Phil

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.